Its unique façade is comprised of curved and flat Ductal® spandrel panels that are just 20 mm (3⁄4 in.) thick, with 30 mm (1.18 in.) ribs. The lightweight, thin panels met important design requirements: the overall building structure could be reduced (since it no longer had to carry a higher dead weight) and; its reduced mass made it possible to reduce the seismic forces on the support structure – as Victoria has one of the highest seismic ratings in Canada. The Atrium Building is certified “LEED Gold” by the Canada Green Building Council and winner of a PCI Design Award.
- Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Completion: 2010
- Architect: D’Ambrosio Architecture + Urbanism
- Owner: Jawl Investment Corporation>
- Precaster: Lafarge
- Engineers: Fast+Epp and; Stantec
- 19,000 m2 (204,000 ft2 Ductal® panels ) building with 690 curved and flat